JAdair
Lung Diver

Kodachrome 25

Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Found some old macro slides I had forgotten about and scanned them on my epson 500 flatbed scanner. For those too young to know, Kodachrome 25 was THE film. Warm color and super sharp. These images have not been adjusted in any way,(slide to scanner to internet) so it gives you an idea of how sharp the film was, it will be missed, digital is nice but there is something about film. Shot with a Nikonos II, macro tube/framer and I think a Subsea 225 strobe (or my Iklite Ai)Enjoy

Boiler81
Vintage Diver
First Name: scott

Re: Kodachrome 25

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:37 pm

Thank you for sharing! Film is wonderful but I am afraid the ease of use of digital will kill it entirely very soon.

crimediver
Master Diver

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:44 pm

Nice pictures.

Yeah, digital is nice but I agree about how some of the film cameras made amazing pics. About ten years ago I boxed up a Nikonos V with a brand new never wet strobe as I thought I would keep it for an investment. I had a small collection of earlier Nikonos and was using a Nikonus 4. I would suppose there is not as much demand for the Nikonos camers now that digital has come into it's own.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:29 pm

Kodachrome is no more, the last lab was here in Kansaw I think and it no longer processes Kodachrome, it is gone.

Digital cameras have a color positive setting and Photoshop also has a color positive conversion to produce the saturated look of Kodachrome. But, I can tell the real deal, digital just looks, well, digital.

But I would never go back now, I sold all of my film Nikon SLRs, lenses, Nikonos and lenses and strobes, books, bags, cases, everything. I have this now, Canon S90 in aluminum Japanese Fisheye/FIX90 housing, dual Inon D2000 strobes and my wayward Inon UFL165AD fisheye lens and would not trade it for a truck load of Nikonos cameras:

I am looking to the future for land use an Oly Micro 4:3 format or Nikon/Canon EVIL if and when they make one.

Nem

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Nice camera Nemrod. I didn't realize that you were a closet LSU fan. :wink:
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Eric S

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:21 am

I still have my Nikonos V that I bought in 1999 complete with a whole set of Ikelite strobes. It was the thing to have then. I also have the Nikonos stock macro lens with framer, and a set of extention tubes I bought used later.

All this stuff is obsolete and worthless now. I just figure I'll keep it and maybe run some black and white film through it and take pictures of vintage divers doing their thing with my 20mm lens and natural light.

Fuji still makes some excellent E6 slide films and almost all the B/W films are still available for artistic film work and photo classes. I've tried the C-41 B/W film and it works pretty good.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:44 pm

Obsolete and worthless??? Just like the DA Aquamaster? Okay, I have to admit that I have ventured down the digital path. Just too many advantages. But like the venerable DA my Nikonos II has a certain cool factor and I cannot get rid of it. It has earned it's place in my collection. After all, it was the first camera I used to document the Walter B Allen, A schooner down in 168 fow. My digital could only do 130. The Nikonos II was built like a tank. If you had a flood in freshwater, you dried it out and determined why it flooded and kept on shooting. Maybe I'm the one who is obsolete. Could very well be. I don't think I'll be on the shelf anytime soon.

Jim

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Scratch me very deep and I don't guess I bleed vintage at least when it comes to cameras and horsecollars. Dhass has "schooled" me on digi vs film and I guess I see it his way now. How many times did I carry a film camera and shoot rolls of film, pay a wheelbarrow full of money to get it developed at a pro lab and get maybe three photos worth looking at. With digital I can shoot, adjust, shoot adjust. I shot nearly 1,500 photos at SD and while still many are not worth the garbage can, at least they are "free" and a push of a button and their embarrassment is gone.

My new camera is nearly as small as a Nikonos III and smaller than a IV. But it still has a fairly small sensor, but a very highly developed one, the new wave of cameras coming, the EVILs and Micro 4:3 stuff should in a few years mature in to some awesome photo taking machines without the bulk of the dSLR and still have large sensors.

Nem

Return to “General Discussions”