1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Re: USD/Voit Divers Watches

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:00 pm

He told me that he secretly wants all that is VOIT is all.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:05 pm

We need to get to the bottom of this mystery, I tell you what, send me the watch in question and I will take it apart and see what makes it tick and even if it says DOXA on it. No guarantees on the reassembly part :shock: . If it does not go well, I promise, I might send you back the parts :wink: .

Nem

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:16 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:He told me that he secretly wants all that is VOIT is all.
Yeah, I know he pretends not to like Voit, but he's probably got a closet full of the stuff.. :P
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:16 pm

That watch pales in comparison to this one.......

http://www.thescubamuseum.com/gauges/WA ... ESgood.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I AM JUST SAYIN'!

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:24 pm

Those are very cool, but I wouldn't trade my Voit for anything. Except Lloyd Bridge's Rolex Submariner, and even then maybe not.. 8)

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:30 am

1969ivan1 wrote:That watch pales in comparison to this one.......

http://www.thescubamuseum.com/gauges/WA ... ESgood.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I AM JUST SAYIN'!
A fine watch indeed! I'm privileged to be a proud owner of one of these fine watches as well. Thank you Bryan! 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:12 pm

This just in.......Allan just bought a silicone VOIT mouthpiece from me! The undeniable truth that Allan loves VOIT! You all better order yours fast before Allan gets then all!
http://www.thescubamuseum.com/products/ ... LEpage.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

annectens
Skin Diver

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:21 pm

But i hope that MY Voit silicon moutpiece is now on the way to Spain...no?
Nemrod Snark Silver III, Spiro Mistral, Rolleimarin, Calypsophot, Fenzy and... Land Rover series III

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:43 pm

You mouthpiece and other items went out yesteray my friend. Thanks for the order. I am sorry I did not email you that it went out. I have been running to the po a lot since these came out at the sale price. I think Bryan and I may have priced them too low?

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Emilio Largo wrote:I checked the PDF of the 1962 Voit catalog, and I don't recognize the original manufacturer of the watch. However, I would like to hear what your watch maker has to say about it, especially what movement is in it. I suspect it may be an A. Schild movement. The Tropic brand strap was a very common and popular dive strap used through the 60's and 70's. Hope this little bit helps, it is a really cool watch.
Emilio, you were right on the money; I just talked to the watch repairman, and my Voit watch was indeed made by A. Schild & Co. The "Date-O-Matic" watches sold by US Divers during the same time period were probably made by Schild as well.
Another mystery solved.. :)

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:46 pm

capn_tucker wrote:Emilio, you were right on the money; I just talked to the watch repairman, and my Voit watch was indeed made by A. Schild & Co. The "Date-O-Matic" watches sold by US Divers during the same time period were probably made by Schild as well.
Now for the important question... Can he restore it for you???
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:59 pm

JES wrote:
capn_tucker wrote:Emilio, you were right on the money; I just talked to the watch repairman, and my Voit watch was indeed made by A. Schild & Co. The "Date-O-Matic" watches sold by US Divers during the same time period were probably made by Schild as well.
Now for the important question... Can he restore it for you???
Yes. He said it will be expensive though. But rare as that watch is, it will be worth every penny.. :)

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm

AndyB wrote:The date-o-matic were in fact Blancpains which used the A.S. Schild movement. Beleive or not, Blancpains were not considered high end watches as they are today. They were just another dive watch manufacturer, they cost considerably less than a DOXA in 1970, and peanuts compared to a Submariner. The A.S. Schild movement though scarce today was used extensivly at that time.

Cheers,
Andy
Yes, I'm thinking the Voit watches are actually Blancpains as well, since they look the same as the USD Blancpains and also use the A.Schild movement. I've been doing some research and also found that the Schild movements were very heavily used in the '50s and '60s. Although rare today as you said.
I saw some Blancpains for sale in various places and was amazed at how much they go for now. That is good to know, as my Voit watch will doubtless continue to appreciate in value.. :)

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:09 am

I finally found out who made the Voit skin diving watches and some of the USD Date-O-Matics. They were made by the Orator Watch Company. They were one of many Swiss companies which went under during the 1970s "Quartz Crisis".
Orator also marketed the Voit/USD watch under their own label as the Orator "Sportsman". It is identical to the Voit watch with the exception of the Orator logo and different bezel markings. For anyone interested, here is a link to the Orator version:

http://robertmaron.com/product.php?prod ... ge=51&sold

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:12 am

I saw Captain Tucker's watch---n-i-c-e!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, the freaking quarts crisis. I hate quarts watches, I have two and they are always dead.

Automatic, now we are cooking with gas!

N

Return to “General Discussions”