Flakotter
Lung Diver
First Name: Traner

Courtney Brown Rabbit hole

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:57 pm

Evening everyone,
I went down a Courtney Brown rabbit hole a few weeks back. I figured that I would share what I found out given the fondness for Sea Hunt in this community. Enjoy.

For those not familiar with Courtney Brown, here is a link...

http://www.internationallegendsofdiving ... wn_bio.htm

Mr. Brown died in 2007; I became curious where he was buried so I started doing some research. Step one was to find his obituary, all I could find was:

“Brown , Courtney Lee, 75, of Pompano Beach, FL passed away on March 23, 2007. Barbara Falowski Funeral Home.”

Ok, not much information about a final resting place so I emailed the funeral home, their reply:

“Unfortunately, we only keep full records for 5 years. I did find in our log book, that Mr. Brown was cremated and no burial place was indicated. I would think that his cremated remains were returned to his family. I'm sorry I couldn't provide more information to you.”

Ok, a professional diver who lives in Florida and was cremated. My guess is he was scattered in the ocean. Ok, so no grave to be found. I figure if I can’t find a grave, could I find his old house? Would it still be there? So I sent an email to the Broward county library special collections and asked if they could locate an address for him in a phone book from the mid 1980’s. Their response:

“The 1986 Fort Lauderdale and Vicinity directory lists “Courtney, L. and Betty, stunt man, h1745 SE 9 St.”

I did a google search and came up with this:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1745 ... 5332_zpid/

The house is described as “Old Florida” and was built in 1956.
Bingo.
So, here you go, a small nugget of Florida’s TV history.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Courtney Brown Rabbit hole

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:12 am

Wow. Such an important guy and then such an underwhelming end. Probably a good father and husband, retired and forgotten for several years and then passed away as modestly as the rest of us. RIP Courtney Brown and thanks for your work to give us so much entertainment from Sea Hunt.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Courtney Brown Rabbit hole

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:58 am

Very cool! I love tidbits of information like that. Looks like a nice house. I'm sure he enjoyed life fully there. M

P.S. He was a stuntman on Porky's and, I believe, married to Wende Wagner at one point.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “General Discussions”