ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Today's Dive

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:38 pm

Had a beautiful dive today off Laguna Beach.  Vis wad 50'+, water warm. Saw a VW-sized Giant Black Sea Bass. Haven't seen one of those that size off our local beaches since the late 60's!

Used my Phoenix/DSV and it worked flawlessly.  Like sipping champagne on the first class deck on the old QE2 (at least that is what I imagined it was like :) ).

Dive started off kind rough and ended kinda rough. Geared up and my AI wrist computer/compass strap broke so I had to take a clip off a side D-ring and affix it to the front of my belt so I could look down to see my air, direction,  etc... Swam out. Hit about 45', saw lots of critters. Of course the left glass on my mask decided to fall out all on its own and vis went immediately to zilch. Don't carry a spare mask on beach dives so had to use the old cup hands over eyes, blow air up, and look down while surfacing trick Sam Miller taught me 40 years ago.  That was fun. Oh yea, and my power inflator started auto-inflating half way through the dive so there's that. Anyway, I lived to do it all over again another day. Gotta love this sport. :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Re: Today's Dive

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Whoa, glad to hear you're fine! Sounds like Murphy was your buddy on that dive!

Love the tip though about the hand over the eyes though. Was it over the opening left by the lens?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:58 pm

Drado wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 pm
Whoa, glad to hear you're fine! Sounds like Murphy was your buddy on that dive!

Love the tip though about the hand over the eyes though. Was it over the opening left by the lens?
Yea, I left the mask on. Trained to do it many moons ago without mask (i.e. lost mask scenario. Haven't practiced in literally 40 years but it all came back to me. M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:18 pm

Who wants an easy uneventful dive ?? There are no stories to tell about them. LOL

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:04 am

h2operations wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:18 pm
Who wants an easy uneventful dive ??
ME! The older I get, the more fun "easy and uneventful" is. :)

Return to “General Discussions”