Vintagediver
Master Diver

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:28 pm

It sure sounds like many of us have the same ideas and hopes for vintage diving. Everyone has really brought up some great points. I am definitely in favor of the idea that Bryan mentioned when he wondered if Dan (VSS) would be interested. The reason I say this is because I would like to see ALL vintage wesite info available on this pamphlet / brochure.
When I started this thread that was specifically what I had in mind; the idea of getting as much info to the prospective new vintage diver as possible (VDH, VSS, Inland Divers, Historical Diving Society, etc). The idea of NAVED promoting this project would be the way to go since NAVED really encompasses all of the above type mentioned websites and organizations. I also agree that credit should be given to whoever is responsible for making this happen. We also have to remember that we're still small in number, and irregardless of what websites either of us may or may not favor WE ARE VINTAGE DIVERS, AND WE ARE ONE! This is where I believe NAVED is important; NAVED can and does make this possible. NAVED to some degree is "Vintage Central" which brings all of us and any individual websites and/or organizations together as one. Many of us were diving this "Vintage Equipment" when it was brand new "State of The Art" equipment; so we know WHAT IT WAS LIKE BACK THEN. I believe we all know that there is a history and legacy to this era of diving that we all so treasure, and if we want it preserved then it is our responsibility to pass on what we know to younger generations of divers.
This project is a very positive and vital step for all of us to do this. Just my $.02! I'm also in support of the names selected for NAVED officers.
Terry

Turtleguy9
Skin Diver

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:53 am

I asked Lisa to play around with PS a bit and this is what she has come up with.
This is the outside of a trifold flyer:

and this is the inside:

She designed with the pictures that she has available. If you would like for her to play some more and wish to use other pictures you will need to send her the pictures and add a release that you allow the use of the picture(s).

It isn't quite done and not written in stone as she didn't know what you wanted on the front or on the inside...More input anyone?

Aloha,
Turtleguy9

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:09 am

Well, Bryan, I think Lisa and Turtleguy have blown your drab old poster out of the water--lol. Well, your all very talented, you to Bryan :D .

That is amazing work, clearly artistic talent at work.

In keeping with Bryan''s suggestion that it not be cheaply photocopied and our time line of "by the end of January" I think we are on to solid progress to make this happen this time for sure.

My idea, never really verbalized was to have pictures along he edges as if they were the sprocket nothces in 35mm flm and then the wordy stuff in the middle with some larger photos splashed in for interest but I have to tell you that I like Lisa's effort a whole bunch.

We will put Vintage Double Hose along the bottom or perhaps in one of the squares and I have not yet contacted Dan at VSS to see what he wants to do in terms of putting him on it but I think it is the right thing to do.

We want to keep the focus on NAVED but it is OK by me if we put in one of the squares or pics or the last paragraph the links to several of the vintage suppliers, dive ops (Lisa and Turtleguy) etc that have helped us by various means.

Let me study on these two submissions and y'all all do the same. Thanks.

James

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:30 am

Lisa's effort is WAAAAAY better than mine.....Now you see why she does the NAVED cards.
I say that you two should take the ball and run with it!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:50 pm

Here is a dumb question, how do I get the file of the final selection--from whomever--so I can take it to a print shop to get a quote?

On the other face that may be a good place to mention credits, special thanks to vdh and then list other vintage buisness and ops who wish to be on the brochure. I will contact Dan via email today.

Let's not get into a rush while we consider on various things, we have time.

My only complaint about the sample from Lisa is that I think it may be slightly equipment intensive (static shots of gear) and not enough action--(divers with the gear on and in use). I think --also--that all regulators shown should be double hose (single hose can be vintage but we are trying to show something visually different at a glance). These are thoughts--not commands and are open to discussion so we all have a good final product for NAVED.

James

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:56 pm

After taking yet another look at Lisa's sample it really is very good :D , maybe just a few more action shots stuck in there, there seems to be a little extra room. I really like the layout.

James

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:02 pm

Just copy it on a disc and take it or send it to the company you are going to work with. Lisa has hundreds of photos and you can use any of mine from the Sand Dog photo section of the site. Don't use any of David's without his release. I think his are all marked though. I think it will be great no matter what shots you use....I agree...NO SINGLE HOSE!!!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Justleesa

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:21 pm

As said I was playing with what I have. I didn't want to fill the flyer with pictures of Roger and myself - SEND ME FULL SIZE PICTURES :D (email it thru our website) I will post an update shortly

Justleesa

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:22 pm

PS when the final version has been determined I will email you a printable copy (not the one posted....not good enough for print).

standingup

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:07 pm

Just a quick note about the photo of the regulator without hoses. When I took my RAM without hoses into my LDS some people thought it was some brand new kind of device. I suggest regulator pics have the hoses attached. JMO
By the way your photo layout really shows talent. Do you earn your living as a graphic artist

Justleesa

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:28 pm

Thank you standingup! I do it for fun....in real life I take care of adults with MR.

I don't have a "good" picture of a reg with hoses - if you have one, please send it to me.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:37 pm

Justleesa
Look at the gallerys on this forum. Many of the submitting members have some nice photos of regs, some with hoses. I am sure you could use any of them. I also agree that some nice photos of people using the vintage gear is also good.
Allan

Justleesa

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:46 pm

simonbeans wrote:Justleesa
Look at the gallerys on this forum. Many of the submitting members have some nice photos of regs, some with hoses. I am sure you could use any of them. I also agree that some nice photos of people using the vintage gear is also good.
Allan
Yes, there are some wonderful photos in the galleries, but they are sized for the web and would not work well for printing - you would see a disturbing difference if not all photos are the same quality. That is why I am requesting full size.

Justleesa

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:43 pm

Just reread your post nemrod and you mention single hose regs...all the pictures I used are of double hose regs...am I missing something?

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:24 pm

Lisa: The job you did is absolutely fantastic! :D I think what you've presented is exactly what all of our collective ideas are. I also agree that any reg photos should be strictly of two hose regs; they present a very important FIRST image. Great job! Great ideas by everyone! I can hardly wait to see the finished product; I believe it will be something we will all be very proud of and eager to distribute. Terry

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”