rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Swimaster Polaris II ?

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:06 am

Was handed a first/second stage in typical "vintage freshwater used" condition. Any Comments on these?
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Re: Swimaster Polaris II ?

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:10 pm

The Polaris II uses a non-balanced piston first stage. The vast majority of examples have a single LP port. An additional LP port was added during the late 1970s.

The second stage is the standard unit used on the majority of Voit regs from 1969 on. A modern Mares Abyss diaphragm (available from VDH) improves the performance considerably.

The second stage needs to be adjusted with a cylinder pressure of 2,400. The IP will drop 8-10psi from 2,400-500psi. I suggest setting the IP between 124-140psi on a full cylinder.

Breathing performance is perfectly adequate for dives in the recreational range.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:48 pm

The second stage is the standard unit used on the majority of Voit regs from 1969 on. A modern Mares Abyss diaphragm (available from VDH) improves the performance considerably.

So I take it the Mares Abyss LP diaphragm available in the VDH store will also work on my Swimaster MR12 II - The diaphragm OD is about 1.625 inch

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:02 pm

It is a perfect fit.
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks, Greg but I think I just got the last 2 of them from the store - sorry, guys. . The MR12 II is such a great breather, - IMHO I really can't tell the difference in performance between it and my Mk25+G260 - I can only imagine it with a new silicone LP diaphragm- Probably butterlike.

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:31 am

I must have a smallish size bottom box on my MR 12 II - the silicone diaphragm just hangs over about .010 -.015 inch diametrical so when the ring is tightened, the top box squishes the edge of the diaphragm over the lip and prevents a seal. I didn't have time today to fix that but I'm going to try and come up with a way to trim a few mils from around the edge so that the diaphragm seats where it's supposed to and seals.
Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you.
PS - The boxes are not out of round as far as I can see but I have not put the calipers on yet. I tried a more gentle tightening of the ring but no joy.

EDIT : 8_22_17 Got the diaphragm in and sealed properly - Reg working very nicely

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”