Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

J.M. Cousteau Royal Aqua Lung Regulator

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Check out all the weirdness inside the 2nd stage....I'm sure I've never worked on one before.....And this is the service manual for the space capsule first stage.....THANK YOU to SKIP for sending this to me so I could share it with everyone.

CLICK HERE
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: J.M. Cousteau Royal Aqua Lung Regulator

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:57 pm

Does that second stage have 2 exhaust valves? What a weird design. Can you find parts for it? I kind of want to tinker with one.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:30 pm

I've never seen on of those second stages in the flesh but I'd like to take one apart to understand it better.

Here is the 1983 USD Catalog with the info about the regulator.

CLICK HERE
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:07 pm

slonda828 wrote:Does that second stage have 2 exhaust valves? What a weird design. Can you find parts for it? I kind of want to tinker with one.
Yes, there is a small one directly across the box from the 2nd stage inlet. I suppose it did help reduce exhalation effort.

I don't think they were around very long. I remember them as touchy to service and adjust properly, and the complexity didn't seem worth the effort for the minimal benefit in performance... if indeed there really was any as advertised. Maybe I just wasn't doing it right, but there is some reason they weren't kept in the line. Probably hard to find the 2nd stage seat/poppet and the relief valve inline with it, but someone did post a photo of one of the former a few years back asking what it was. Don't remember who.

If I had one of the regs I would give it to you!
The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Yeah you know me BT. I'd be all over this thing just because it's different and weird LOL.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Ron, I'll let you know if I run into a Royal second stage somewhere. I know you would enjoy tinkering with it.
The older I get the better I was.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:33 am

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:28 am

Ron, it's a lot closer to you than me......Looks like the chrome is knocked off the yoke....See if they will take a lot less and we can at the very least tear it apart and get it in the manuals and catalogs section......In 40 years this may the 80's version of the Royal Mistral LOL...

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:57 am

I love the excitement.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:22 pm

I like the first stage. Of coarse, I would have to put led lighting around the flying saucer looking part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:49 am

If I remember correctly, my local repair center contacted AL about a kit for the first stage and they confirmed a Conshelf/Titan kit would work other than the 1/2 inch LP hose orings.

Ron/Bryan, would either of you like a second stage ......it's in pieces but I am pretty sure it's complete....and If I can find it.
Herman

ovalis
Master Diver

Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Bryan, I remember you had a couple of 2nd stage poppets for this reg a little while back. You posted some pictures of it asking what part it was.

They made another version of it starting in 1985. It was called the Royal SL and it was a polished chrome version of the Royal and the side exhaust came with a closing valve where you could close it off, partially open it or fully open it. Then the whole thing evolved into the Pro Diver that came with their standard 2nd stage of that era.

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:57 pm

119 bucks for that is insane. Maybe he will list it for like 30 bucks, lol. I can get a Conshelf 14 for 30 bucks if I look.

Herman, I am interested in the second stage if it's complete. I've rebuilt a pro diver before and like Ovalis said, it's basically a boat anchor of a conshelf lol.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:22 am

Oh, you mean this ol' thing? I have the - second stage only. I can send it to you if you'd like to have a look. I became less interested in the 1014 / 1015 due to the relatively enormous weight of the UFO - talk about taking lead off your belt when diving it . . jeez - the poor baggage handler's back. I have an early 90's Calypso that's not even nearly as heavy.

This thing with the two exhaust valves? - seems like at one time USD may have had a make work project for a new engineer and they actually decided to go to production with his weird reg design ??

Ron
Site Admin

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:16 pm

I'm interested in tinkering with it. Do you want something in trade for it?

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”