Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Balancing second stages?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:19 pm

I understand how it works mechanically, but unless your using a non ballanced first stage, what is the purpose of ballancing the second stage? Did I miss something in the Savvy book?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Balancing second stages?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:19 pm

It is redundant with a balanced first stage....With that said, balanced 2nd stages usually contain some provision for the diver to adjust the work of breathing while in use if necessary. Non balanced 2nd stages do not have this feature. With a balanced adjustable 2nd stage you can set the regulator to a very low work of breathing and even if it develops a slight freeflow you can quickly eliminate it and not mess up a dive.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:47 pm

So thats why I was recommended the duro kit for my 109 instead of the ballanced kit. The 109 is user adjustable and my first stage is already balanced. Sounds like another way of modern regulator advertisers marking up the price by throwing in a handfull of unneeded orings and a good sales pitch when all the diver needed was an adjusting knob. Good knowing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:37 pm

A MK5 first stage with a duro poppet or balanced adjustable second stage is an excellent regulator.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”