scubachad
First Name: Chad

Dacor 900/PacerXL and olympic 200 second parts

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:27 pm

I picked up 2 sets of Dacor 900 First stage/Pacer XLsecond and Olympic 200 octos. I think they had been serviced/used probably until the mid 2000s. I've hooked them to a tank with 500 psi or so and one breaths a bit hard, the other though seems to breath just fine.

I'm not sure if I should keep them and try my hand at servicing them myself and just use them at the quarry/pool or something. I honestly didn't realize how old they were when I saw them and bought them from craigslist without doing any research. I didn't give a lot of money so it's not a huge deal. I would think it would be kinda cool to play with them though.

Another question being, it seems like everybody is real big on annual to bi-annual servicing of their gear but then I hear some guys who just service it when it doesn't work right.

So, does anybody know of anyone who can service these or where I could find the proper o-rings, HP seats, diaphragms and what not? Do the diaphragms even need replacing if the second works fine? It looks like it's not a normal service item as is.

It also sounds like I need some special tools for working on regs too, which is why i'd be open to finding somebody who can work on them, even if it meant shipping them off. I'd even be up to somebody showing me the ropes if I could supply parts and had the tools we could use if anybody is local to Raleigh, NC.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Dacor 900/PacerXL and olympic 200 second parts

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:20 am

Welcome to the board and I'm in Apex so we are close.
The 900 series can be a pain to service because they changed the HP assembly several times during the production run. It's possible that your 2 regs have 2 different HP assemblies but look the same on the outside. The only way to know for sure is to open it up. The orings are common sizes so they are not a problem to get and the diaphragm is the same size as a US Diver/AL so it's not a problem as well. The big issue is the HP seat. Trident list several seats in it's catalog and it might be worth looking at them. http://www.tridentdive.com/ There are manuals in the "Manuals and Catalogs" section of this board. I also have a marked up exploded drawing of the 900 series with the common oring sizes marked on it.....I serviced one for a friend a number of years ago.

The second stages are a different matter. They are well built and common parts fit them so restoring them to working order is no a problem, Bryan sells everything you need for them except the common orings. If one breathes ok and the other not as good (assuming the same first stage - IP will have an impact on the second stage performance) it may well just be adjusted differently...it's not uncommon for a tech to set up an octo to be harder to breath from than a primary.

As for special tools, circlip pliers and an IP gauge are all the special tools I recall for the 900 series. The pliers can be found at most any tool store and IP gauges can be home made from parts at Lowes or inexpensive ones can be purchased at many on line scuba stores. I personally like Piranha if Bryan (owner of this board ) does not sell them. http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/category/ ... eckers-108

How often to service is a personal choice but I am in the monitor it and rebuild when necessary camp. The once a year or 2 is way too much, there is simply no need. The lifespan of orings is much much longer than that, how often do you replace the orings in your cars brake calipers which are in a much harsher environment? Typically, A regs IP will start acting up way before its a major issue, it's a simple matter to check it. I don't normally rebuild regs for people but had a guy on another board wanting someone to rebuild and evaluate a reg for him....a Conshelf that he had used for around 30 years before it failed. I was curious so I did it for him. The failure was the HP seat, a particular design that was known for failing and was redesigned many years before his failed, the rest of the reg was in good shape. Had the seat not failed, no telling how long it would have kept going. I don't recommend going that long but I see no need at all for shorter than 5 years unless you see signs of a problem...this is assuming the reg is properly and well cleaned after use.

Hope that helps and again, welcome to the board.
Herman

scubachad

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info, I have c-clip pliers already since my other hobby is racing cars and working on them and I found the diagrams and manuals in the info section and it did indeed look like nothing fancy was needed.

Sounds like all I need is a IP gauge and it's nothing more than a 0-300psi gauge and I have no problem rigging one up out of parts. I found some cheap ones online that plug into a inflator hose but my normal diving setup uses the larger fitting for a alternate air inflator. Since my only BC uses a alternate air inflator I don't really need the Octo but would probably need a longer hose for the primary second stage in order to be able to donate, replacing the hoses is probably wise anyway since I have no idea of their age.

I did find some of the HP assemblies on Ebay and stuff, but sounds like if the IP is ok and can be adjusted normally I probably don't need to replace it? Or is that something that if I tear it apart I should go ahead and put a new one in assuming I can find one?

crimediver
Master Diver

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:46 pm

I bought a new Conshelf SE-2 in 1987. It had a HP seat replaced a year later due to a recall. I purposely never had it overhauled since then, I just inspected it and checked the IP pressure once in a while with a home made gauge. IP is steady at 145 and no creep. What I did do was soak it after each dive and was anal about letting no water in the first stage. I dive it about 20 dives a year and so far no problems than changing a mouthpiece once or twice. I just want to see how long it will go like that.

In my opinion the annual servicing is a scam. I see shops wanted 75 bucks a stage. Do that a few times and you could have bought a new regulator. I can fix any reg for less than that. I also saved a ton of money not falling for the annual overhaul scam. I laughed when I saw a guy get charged 30 bucks for a BC annual inspection, not a repair, at a shop I was at a few years ago. I know the LDs needs to make some money but come on. And if you are a diver that cannot trouble shoot a BC problem maybe you should take up another past time.

Most regulator issues I have had were when a reg was overhauled by my LDS. So I do my own work that I feel comfortable about. The Pacer is a good reg but parts are an issue. Herman is correct, Trident has seats for the LP and about six months ago I saw that Northeast Scuba Supply had an advertisement for Pacer HP seats that they described as new aftermarket parts. I know nothing about them or if they are what you need. It caught my eye as I did not know anyone was making new parts for Dacors.

I have flipped over Dacor seats and that worked OK. It is possible for you to do that though yours may have already have been flipped before during a prior overhaul by a tech cutting a few corners.

I helped a friend with some he bought a last year. I guess he had ten sets of Pacors and maybes an Olympic. There were as few issues but they were resolved pretty easy. The metal Dacors are rugged regulators and worth a little effort to keep going. Most of the local shops will tell you they cannot be fixed as they are not supported by the manufacturer. I believe you can keep them going without too much trouble.

scubachad

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:39 pm

I think bottom line right now is I should just get a full tank so I can properly test everything at pressure and put together a IP gauge so I can see if the IP is in good shape. It sounds like one may be low, and if that's the case maybe I just use that one for parts if need be. If everything works as is it sounds like I might just not bother messing with anything and use them until there is a problem.

Since I have a alternate air inflator on my BC I can just remove the olympic 200s and not have to worry about keeping them in working order.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:09 pm

If you have an old LP hose it's easy to make a IP gauge. Just cut the second stage end off then use a hose barb that will fit into the hose and mate with a gauge - all parts from the Lowes air compressor section. I prefer gauges that go to 200 rather than 300 since that puts the needle in the upper half but either will work, pretty much all IPs range from 110 to 145. . When using it, you will want at least 1 second stage on the reg. You need a way to vent it and it acts as a safety relief if the first stage fails.
Herman

scubachad

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”