Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Healthways is next on the agenda

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:42 am

Time to check out the feasibility of doing diaphragms and service kits for some of the Healthways line. They are cheap, plentiful, easy to service and aside from the tilt valve versions not a bad regulator to have fun with. Regulators for the project are courtesy of Karl at Scuba Museum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

TomcatPC
Skin Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Healthways is next on the agenda

Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:00 pm

I'm glad to hear this! I have a couple Healthways Single Hose regs. and really enjoy diving them. It is a good thing to hear someone is thinking of making parts for them now.
Thanks
Mark

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:28 pm

This would be awesome. I have three and all need new diaphragms for their second stages. Sort of like trying to find Abyss diaphragms, unless you are Bryan and know the local Mares mafia. :D I hope that Bryan does this and also gets more Abyss diaphragms back into the store at some point. I'm hurtin' really bad for a few. LOL :shock:
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:12 pm

Tropical storms have blown out diving for a few days so Rob and I have been playing Healthways autopsy on all the regulators Karl was nice enough to loan me. We have been compiling info and details so I can order parts for first and second stage service kits. A few variations wont be covered but I think most models will.
We have a couple of diaphragms we are working with and at the very least we can try them out in the pool in the next day or two . Herman shared some great info from his experiments that has helped a lot so far.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:09 pm

God I love you guys ( in an brotherly way of course). It would be great to do this stuff, but I don't want you guys to have to go through all the hell that you went through with the DSV not to mention the Kraken. I state the obvious in that the real reason we can't rebuild these things IMO is the fricken 2nd stage diaphragm issue. If we can get a match in silicon we'd be smokin' baby! Once you gurus come up with a solution can you say :CROWD FUNDING ANYONE!!!?????

PS; My DSVs arrived just fine. Thanks So Much!

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:58 pm

CLICK FOR blog post on Healthways Scuba Star First Stage

It's a good starting point......I learned a lot over the past few days. Having so many first and second stages on hand really helped to compare things side by side.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:52 pm

Nice Blog.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:44 am

Great blog and yeah, I see the Scuba Star quite often in a variety of sporting equipment venues. i dived my Mk3 and 108 yesterday in big currents and to 130 + ft. Flawless operation
Very happy with that set up for any dives

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:39 am

After some exhaustive testing by Herman and I we have come to the conclusion that the original Healthways diaphragm design is the best overall. We tried several diaphragms that were made for other regulator brands and several of them FIT and Functioned but there were issues from dome height to lateral flex when in use that we were not comfortable with.
I've sent several good examples of NOS Healthways diaphragms out for quotes and I'll know in a few weeks if it's economically feasible to reproduce them at a price divers can justify putting them in an inexpensive regulator.
Herman also has a super secret squirrel project he is working on that the Healthways diaphragms seem to work great for.
Stay tuned for details and updates as they happen!

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:50 am

A minor correction/clarification. There were 2 versions (at least) of the HW diaphragm, they both work in most all HW regs but are totally different in design. We are talking about the later silicone (? or some soft rubber) and not the original one made of a much stiffer material. The later design is also a lot different and IMO a lot better than the original design. I don't think the HW seconds will be super great but experimenting with the different diaphragms, the later version performs much better than the original and I suspect the reproduction will work even better.

I have always loved the small HW Scubastar first, the one in Bryan's blog. I pair it with one of the early AMF Swimaster MR12 second stages (with a modern Abyss diaphragm) for a really small, cute but at the same time good performing reg. If any of you have one and are using the tilt valve second stage, the OPV is critical if you don't have a down stream second stage as well. If your OPV is defective, new ones are available in the $6 range.

As for the super secret squirrel project....well it might interest some of you. It promises to be a vast improvement over what is currently available. ....that's all for now. :)
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:41 am

Herman wrote:A minor correction/clarification. There were 2 versions (at least) of the HW diaphragm, they both work in most all HW regs but are totally different in design. We are talking about the later silicone (? or some soft rubber) and not the original one made of a much stiffer material. The later design is also a lot different and IMO a lot better than the original design. I don't think the HW seconds will be super great but experimenting with the different diaphragms, the later version performs much better than the original and I suspect the reproduction will work even better.

Yes, the later version....The ones I have I believe to be silicone. The later second stages with the downstream valve and larger exhaust valve are pretty much the same as a SP 108 and should do just fine with the new diaphragm The early diaphragms are manufactured from clay based rubber and everyone of them I have ever seen has been beyond repair despite the claims that some magic shoe goo or silicone lube will rejuvenate them. I guess if you just want to prop your Healthways up and take pictures or scuba dive on the innerweb they would be fine but for actual diving they are garbage.

I have always loved the small HW Scubastar first, the one in Bryan's blog. I pair it with one of the early AMF Swimaster MR12 second stages (with a modern Abyss diaphragm) for a really small, cute but at the same time good performing reg. If any of you have one and are using the tilt valve second stage, the OPV is critical if you don't have a down stream second stage as well. If your OPV is defective, new ones are available in the $6 range.

I'll be stocking new OPV's sometime next month

As for the super secret squirrel project....well it might interest some of you. It promises to be a vast improvement over what is currently available. ....that's all for now. :)

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:41 am

First quotes on reproducing the Healthways diaphragms came back higher than I thought.....What I read here and on VSS is that most Healthways owners prefer to service their regulators with jury rigged parts as cheaply as possible. Not sure if the market would support diaphragms that would retail for $22.00 or that I would ever be able to sell enough of them to recoup my investment.
I've asked the manufacturer to re-figure the mold as one for single use which may bring the cost of the mold down but I don't think it will change the retail that much.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Bryan wrote:First quotes on reproducing the Healthways diaphragms came back higher than I thought.....What I read here and on VSS is that most Healthways owners prefer to service their regulators with jury rigged parts as cheaply as possible. Not sure if the market would support diaphragms that would retail for $22.00 or that I would ever be able to sell enough of them to recoup my investment.
I've asked the manufacturer to re-figure the mold as one for single use which may bring the cost of the mold down but I don't think it will change the retail that much.
$22 is not that unreasonable considering new diaphragms for most 2nd stages made from 1990 and forward are as much or more.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Diverdon
Diver
First Name: Don

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:00 am

I don't post very often, but this one has me interested. I for one would be interested in some diaphragms as well as some kits if they were produced. I really like my honkers both SP and HW, as well as my B and Scubair reserve model. Unfortunately, I cannot use them (confidently) for much besides shallow water or pool use. I realise the SP honker has parts available but I prefer the compact size and light weight of the Gold Label HW reg.

As far as reconditioning old diaphragms, I believe that is condoned by few, not most, and is done primarily because there are no alternatives.

Hopefully the manufacturer will come back with a more reasonable price.

Don

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:01 am

If I understand correctly, the big expense is the initial production of the molds, after that the cost per unit drops. I may be all wrong on it, so correct me if I'm wrong. With that in mind, having a committed number sold wound lessen the finical impact on you (Bryan). How about something like the initial mouthpiece offer, up front sales for delivery at a later date? I'm in for a couple. If nothing else, you can get a good gauge of the serious buyers.
Herman

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”