Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Unusual LP mechanism

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:52 pm

Aquanetic.....Related to White Stage I believe.....Check out the 2nd stage LP assembly. The LP seat is not fixed to a carrier/seat holder. Instead it is molded into a brass square with a small raised point on the other side which rides against the polished surface of the stem connected to the demand lever. Is this arrangement seen in other 2nd stages?
20160618_153215.jpg
20160618_153823.jpg
20160618_153839.jpg
20160618_153917.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: Unusual LP mechanism

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:28 am

This is a first for me seeing this type. Metal on metal with the brass "nib" as a contact point. Strange indeed.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:54 am

The valve sealing is not metal on metal. There is a black rubber seat on that floating seat carrier. The nipple allows the seat to roll and therefore allows it to find the ideal mating angle against the volcano orifice.

It’s a feature that is not normally necessary, but a few other regulator (I think Voit) had ball-joints on the soft seat carrier. Again, the theory was that it allowed for self alignment.

The volcano orifice is very conventional looking.

I have never seen this particular design either.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:45 pm

I haven't seen that design, but it was surely for the intent that Luis noted... alignment of the sealing surfaces.

Notably, same effect was created with a ball and socket swivel on the Poseidon Cyklon (or whatever they called it back in the 50's) many years ago, and still used on that second stage as far as I know. At least my Cyklons from the mid to late 90's have it.

I haven't seen that arrangement on a Voit. Does anyone know what model may have it?
The older I get the better I was.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:59 pm

Now that you mention it, I am pretty sure I was thinking of the Poseidon Cyklon. The seat carrier design has not changed since the late 50’s and it is still the same to this day. I can’t believe that I forgot about that. That was and probably still is one of my favorite second stage design. I have no clue why did I think of Voit. :? :shock:

I have several Cyklon second stages. I never liked their first stage so no I have them paired up with Conshelf first stages and I have the Ip adjusted to 165 psi, which what the Cyklons like.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:02 am

Luis, I agree on the first stages, and I am using simple non-swivel version of Apex instead. You can change the HP seat out with one Allen wrench in 30 seconds on a rocking boat in a blinding rainstorm if ever required. Try that on a Poseidon first stage... Ha! Also have used them with MR12 first stages, which is of course just a Conshelf in disguise.

The Cyklon hit on a good design in the 50's that seems basically unchanged to date. It works and breathes well. One thing I like is that there is no upside-down, so you can use them with hose coming from either direction. There are downsides to the design as well, but they are still pretty cool regs, and what I still use for cave diving.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”