Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Healthways Regulators

Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Have been kicking around the idea of doing some service kits and parts for select Healthways regulators. Trying right now to sort out the trash from treasures in their line. Ron should have some service information ready for the Manuals and Catalogs section soon.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Healthways Regulators

Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:22 pm

Nice! As I am a SP Junkie, Healthways has recently become an interest, and I have a few. Always interested in not just having them, but diving them... Looking forward to to seeing opportunities to make them viable again if they are in the "treasure vs. trash" side of things...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:17 am

I currently own the Deluxe and the Gold Label. Fitted with a USD hose set and properly tuned the Gold Label is a great regulator! Well worth keeping dive ready.

Jim

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:22 am

The piston first stages shouldn't be much trouble, most are simple flow by pistons. Common orings, standard filters and small nylon seat...the Aquarius seat might fit, I have not looked. The diaphragm first use the seat like is in the HW DH regs so they would be a pita to make....but on the up side, could be used in the DHs are well.
A HUGE help would be second stage diaphragms. So far I have not been able to find any modern replacement, they are an odd size. There were silicone (?) ones made later so there are good examples to use for reproduction.
Herman

TomcatPC
Skin Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:57 pm

I just recently got a Healthways Scuba Star Single Hose reg. It would be totally awesome to know there were a replacement diaphram available if I needed one in the future. So a second request on HW Single Hose parts.
Mark

USdiver
Master Diver

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:41 pm

My first regulator was a 1962 Healthways ScubaAir J. The sole point that I am here to write about it belies the fact that it was not a good regulator. Breathed like a pig. Not sure that I would make reproduction parts to revive the cult of the ScubaAir J.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:45 pm

Whoo hoo, now maybe I can sell mine.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:51 am

The challenge with this as I said will be sorting what SHOULD be worked with and what is better left on the shelf. As George pointed out, just because its shiny and new does not mean it breathed well to begin with.
Skip the tilt valve 2nd stages completely. Figure out which 2nd stages had downstream demand valves and go from there. Next, determine if one size main diaphragm worked in all the downstream valve 2nd stages and then investigate reproducing them. If each 2nd stage used a different diaphragm it make no sense to go any further as the cost to make the diaphragm will greatly outweigh any chance of recouping the cost impossible. When I look at most of these regulators on auction sites the shipping cost is higher than the sale price so service and repair parts have to be kept low.
I need a lot more data and schematics before proceeding and in the end will need a few good parts for replication and 3D files for manufacture.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:21 am

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:49 am

In about 1966 I traded an extra Aquamaster for my first single hose regulator, which was a used tilt valve type Healthways Scuba Star - probably made about 1960 or 61. It became Francie's first regulator, and actually breathed easier for her than my poorly and ineptly tuned Aquamaster at the time. Of course, within a few years single hose reg design flourished, and performance began to improve dramatically.

I don't still have that actual regulator, but now have an identical working version, but she won't dive with it!
The older I get the better I was.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:48 am

Just looked at the HW manual you posted. It list the same part number for all but 1 of the second stages....didn't look any farther but I bet that is the tilt valve one...

Edit- Turns out it was not a tilt valve....not sure why it's listed as different, I have one and it looks like the rest.
Herman

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:04 am

I Did a little digging in the old reg pile this morning and came up with some good info. I have 3 different models of HW seconds, a Scuba Star, a Scuba Star TDOK and a Scubair. All 3 appear to use the same diaphragm (or at least that was what was in them) although the manual says differently. In addition I found a loose diaphragm that appears to be a later, more modern design but it fits perfectly into all 3 and is made of a softer material (rubber, silicone ??) The old version had metal pads on both sides riveted together as opposed to one bonded/glued into the new version. The metal pad on the new version was slightly bigger but that shouldn't be an issue.
It would take some testing but I think the later example I have might be worth looking into.
IMG_0933web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:14 am

Nice find Herman. The design looks a little complicated but not real challenging to reproduce if it will work with multiple 2nd stages. As for the center disc it is much more economical to have it made from ABS like the Mistral as it's easier to heat cure it to the diaphragm than to go to the multi step process Rob has been doing with the two hose Healthways diaphragms.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:36 pm

Don't see any reason ABS would not work. You are welcome to have this one for an example if you like.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Is the exhaust valve in the downstream models a standard size? Or can someone give me the diameter please?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”