Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Healthways Regulators

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:51 pm

I checked the ones I have and they are all 1 inch in diameter.
Herman

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:57 am

So it looks like this is the right thread for this question. This first stage was on a tank I picked up. Cleaned it up and tried it. I think I replaced the seat. It got hard to breath with 250psi left in my tank. IP is 120 on a tank with 1500psi. Am I thinking right that shimming the spring to raise the IP will fix the problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:06 am

Yes, shimming the main spring on a flow through piston design will incease the intermediate pressure, however, 120psi at 1,500psi is not real low. At 2,200, it will likely be approximately 125psi. Considering the design, I would think that 130-135 would be at the upper end of acceptable pressure.
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Actually, with lower tank preasure it shouldn't have gotten hard to breath beacause the seat is normally open. Takes pressure to close it. Should I be looking for a different problem?Only reason I even wanted to fix this one, all my first stages are diaphragm. And I kind of liked the look of this body.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:14 pm

tripplec wrote:So it looks like this is the right thread for this question. This first stage was on a tank I picked up. Cleaned it up and tried it. I think I replaced the seat. It got hard to breath with 250psi left in my tank. IP is 120 on a tank with 1500psi. Am I thinking right that shimming the spring to raise the IP will fix the problem?

First I would take a look under the filter. Many of those originally came out with a thin metal plate with tiny orifice to really make sure you noticed that your air was getting low. Pressure gauges just weren't really in popular use back then, and that was the "automatic reserve". If it is still present, just lift that out and you might see a performance improvement.

Shimming the spring may help too, unless yours has a tilt-valve second stage, which is upstream seated. Not as much benefit to increasing IP in that case... could even make it a little harder to breathe. The original 2nd stage diaphragm is probably very stiff, and probable will never perform well no matter what you do short of replacing it too.
The older I get the better I was.

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Ill look for the plate when I get home. Dont recall it having one though. I'll double check the filter as well. As far as the second stage, I would have been using either my titan II or my ocianic.

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:01 am

Your spot on Antique Diver. Fixed the small hole problem. Now it will breath adequately right down to almost nothing. Now I can throw it in my box and probably never use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:52 am

tripplec wrote:Your spot on Antique Diver. Fixed the small hole problem. Now it will breath adequately right down to almost nothing. Now I can throw it in my box and probably never use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Good to hear that problem resolved.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”