technidiver
First Name: Alex

Scuba Star TD

Sat May 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Hello! Some of you folks may know me from VSP (Vintage Scuba Proboards). I just acquired several vintage scuba regulators, and one of them was a HW Scuba Star TD. Has anyone here serviced one, or does anyone have some useful information about this reg?

Thanks,

TD

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Scuba Star TD

Sat May 07, 2016 7:03 pm

Welcome to VDH.
The HW Scubastar TD is a simple flow by piston first stage with a common down stream second stage. Unfortunately, the HW second stages used an odd sized main diaphragm that I have yet to find a modern substitute for. They are often hard so getting one to breath well is not easy. There were some later ones that had silicone diaphragms, if you are lucky enough to have one of those, things are looking up. The exhaust valves and LP seats are common size so they are not a problem.
The first stage is pretty simple, a couple of common orings (I forget what size off hand, don't recall anyone doing a markup on them) and a simple seat. Most times you can flip the seat and use the back side. All of these stages have a over pressure valve on them, IF the second stage is the more modern design (the early ones were tilt valve which REQUIRE a OPV) you can remove it and use the port for other LP uses- BC hose or octo.

All in all, a simple but dependable reg. It's very easy to service. Good luck with it and welcome to VDH.

Herman
Herman

technidiver
First Name: Alex

Re: Scuba Star TD

Sat May 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Thank you, Herman. I'll look for some HW Scuba Star TDs and the diaphragm too.

TD

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”