Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Restoring a Voit label

Mon May 14, 2012 6:22 pm

When I first ordered my MR-12 Titan II, I had previously read that the labels were difficult to restore. This prompted me to have some made to replace the original. However, I got the size wrong - instead of 1.5" in diameter, I had set it to 1.75" -basically the diameter of the purge button. Here's a photo of the original label and its replacement:

I decided to try to restore the label using my usual technique: remove last bits of paint, spray paint, then using fine wet sandpaper, sand it down carefully. Afterward, to stabilize the whole thing, a spritz of clear acrylic on top:

It came out pretty good :D

Be that as it may, I still ended up using a replacement label for my reg to keep the original safe. I lightly sanded the outer edge of the replacement to prevent snagging with the box top,and attached it to the whole front of the purge button:

This particular reg will be the back-up for my primary PRAM.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Restoring a Voit label

Tue May 15, 2012 11:01 am

Very nice, Ed.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue May 15, 2012 11:36 am

Ed, how are you re-attaching the labels? I have not been able to find any suitable rivets but did find some really small SS screws that should do nicely.
Herman

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Tue May 15, 2012 5:56 pm

For the repro label, since there are no rivet holes, I just used extra thickness mounting tape. Maybe one day I'll revert back to the original and try using thick copper wire if I ever get the reg re-chromed, otherwise I'll stick with tape (pun inteneded :D )

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”