EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

calypso 2nd stage

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Looking for a diaphragm or at least the missing exhalation valve and a couple of orings
Image.

EHowe
Master Diver

Re: calypso 2nd stage

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:42 pm

No luck finding a diaphragm. This thing probably breathes like crap anyway. I thought I could maybe make one out of a conshelf diaphragm and a snorkel flapper valve. Only problem, if it fails the whole thing floods, & that cant be good. My other idea was to put the top cover on a conshelf body to use as a 2nd with my DH. That way I keep the vintage look, but with a safer design. Any thoughts??

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:26 am

They breathe great. If you have the center disc out of an old calypso diaphragm, then you can make a new one.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

EHowe
Master Diver

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:43 am

I dont have the center disc. and the rest of it is pretty stiff. Thats why I was considering a more flexible silicone diaphragm.

Ron
Site Admin

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:05 pm

If you have the center metal disc in your picture, then you can use any silicone conshelf diaphragm and off the shelf exhaust valves to rebuild it. I did two of those that way and they are both still in service. FWIW.

That regulator was one of the first single hose regulators dove to deeper than 300 feet. It essentially is the modern diaphragm first stage.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:21 pm

Isn't that what Hannes Keller used for his dive out of a bell into 1000' of water off Catalina in 1962?
The older I get the better I was.

EHowe
Master Diver

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:22 am

[quote="Ron"]If you have the center metal disc in your picture, then you can use any silicone conshelf diaphragm and off the shelf exhaust valves to rebuild it. I did two of those that way and they are both still in service. FWIW.

I may try what you suggested. My LDS has one of these & a similar Voit on display. I'll bet it is the same intrnals. I know they think I'm crazy when I start asking about this stuff :)

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:34 pm

The similar model Voit will work. I took a standard diaphragm, and carefully peeled the metal backing disc away. Then I used oxygen safe super glue to glue the old disc to the new diaphragm. Then I used an arch punch to punch a hole through the front of the diaphragm, exposing the disc from the front and making it look like a new, old style diaphragm. Just buy some of Bryan's exhaust valves in 7/8" from the store and give it a go. I've done two that way and they breathe wonderfully. You can get a lower work of breathing because in a head down position the exhaust valve is on the opposite side of the second stage orifice, unlike a modern single hose. The only bugger is refinishing the first stage seats, but there are forum members who can refinish the seat on a lathe for you for a nominal fee. 8)

Only at VDH :)

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:35 pm

antique diver wrote:Isn't that what Hannes Keller used for his dive out of a bell into 1000' of water off Catalina in 1962?

Correct! I believe he used hydreliox.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:27 pm

slonda828 wrote:If you have the center metal disc in your picture, then you can use any silicone conshelf diaphragm and off the shelf exhaust valves to rebuild it.
Could I do the same thing with my Dad's 1961 Voit 40 fathom? It looks identical to the Calypso in the picture.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

frogman63
Lung Diver
First Name: Brian

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:43 am

I am in the same process of fixing up my '64 1030 Calypso second stage. The closest exhaust valve that I see in the store is 26 mm. Do you know what section of the store has the 7/8 inch exhaust valve? Thanks.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:32 pm

SurfLung wrote: Could I do the same thing with my Dad's 1961 Voit 40 fathom? It looks identical to the Calypso in the picture.
slonda828 wrote:The similar model Voit will work.)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:34 pm

frogman63 wrote:I am in the same process of fixing up my '64 1030 Calypso second stage. The closest exhaust valve that I see in the store is 26 mm. Do you know what section of the store has the 7/8 inch exhaust valve? Thanks.
I don't sell a 7/8th valve which would be around a 22mm....I think Ron is talking about using the 26mm for the exhaust valve on the diaphragm.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”