Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

The Quest has Ended, My Titan II MR-12 has arrived.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:32 pm

I have been searching for a nice, original condition, Voit Swimaster Titan II MR-12 reg ever since I laid my baby blues on Karl's non-mag example. The Titan II MR-12 was a short production run of the original MR-12 that had just been approved by the USN. Voit changed the name over to MR-12, and continued to produce the Titan II as a separate model with the Trieste first stage combination.

Anyway, a great big thanks to Russ, "Mistral", who answered my VDH inquiry for the reg. Not only was Russ awesome to deal with, the reg was in better shape than he described.

I am planning on creating a historical piece that outlines the evloutionary changes of the Voit Swimaster MR-12 throughout its production run. This will be in the same fashion as the work compiled by Allan on the USD DH regs.

You will notice that Voit used the two tone finish on the second stage, much like many of the DH models. Captain Tucker, can you verify as to whether your example hs the same finish?

Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Re: The Quest has Ended, My Titan II MR-12 has arrived.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:33 am

Sorry I only just noticed this thread. I'll check my Titan II MR12 when I get home and let you know..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:01 am

Ok, I checked my Titan II MR12, serial #657, and it has a shiny chrome front cover and dull chrome 2nd stage housing. I'm thinking the total production of this early model MR12 was a thousand or less, so more than likely the entire run was two-tone. If anyone on the forum has a standard MR12 with a serial # in the low 1000s, that will confirm this..

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:54 pm

I was up this morning at 5 and on a whim, decided to check eBay. With all the talk of the Pegasus reg, I typed in "Titan II" and found one with just a few minutes to spare. Bleary eyed from just waking up, I put a bid on it and only realized that what I got was a Titan II MR-12 and would be unsuitable for a Pegasus:

capn_tucker wrote:Ok, I checked my Titan II MR12, serial #657, and it has a shiny chrome front cover and dull chrome 2nd stage housing. I'm thinking the total production of this early model MR12 was a thousand or less, so more than likely the entire run was two-tone. If anyone on the forum has a standard MR12 with a serial # in the low 1000s, that will confirm this..
According to the seller, it has a serial number of 1002, and from the photos, it seems to have a shiny chrome finish.

Well, I won't be getting a Pegasus, but its a cool looking reg nonetheless!

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Going by the information in the thread, I'd say you scored a very nice regulator. They're easy to rebuild and I have an extra silicone diaphragm for the MR-12 2nd stage. Let me know if you want it, I can drop it in the mail, no prob....
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:12 am

Drado wrote:I was up this morning at 5 and on a whim, decided to check eBay. With all the talk of the Pegasus reg, I typed in "Titan II" and found one with just a few minutes to spare. Bleary eyed from just waking up, I put a bid on it and only realized that what I got was a Titan II MR-12 and would be unsuitable for a Pegasus:

capn_tucker wrote:Ok, I checked my Titan II MR12, serial #657, and it has a shiny chrome front cover and dull chrome 2nd stage housing. I'm thinking the total production of this early model MR12 was a thousand or less, so more than likely the entire run was two-tone. If anyone on the forum has a standard MR12 with a serial # in the low 1000s, that will confirm this..
According to the seller, it has a serial number of 1002, and from the photos, it seems to have a shiny chrome finish.

Well, I won't be getting a Pegasus, but its a cool looking reg nonetheless!
How about that, ser. #1002. My theory about pre-production MR12s being around 1000 units is getting closer to being proven. Will be interesting to see if any more in the 1000 range turn up..

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:27 am

sitkadiver wrote:Going by the information in the thread, I'd say you scored a very nice regulator. They're easy to rebuild and I have an extra silicone diaphragm for the MR-12 2nd stage. Let me know if you want it, I can drop it in the mail, no prob....
For the $5 I paid for it, yeah :D ... its the shipping that's a killer :P Still, looking forward to the 2nd stage, the brass-n'-glass SPG, and that cool looking dust cap (looks aluminum!) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:34 am

Ed, rebuilt with a good diaphgram you will be surprized at how good that little second stage works. I use them on several regs and they are the perfect octo for a Pegasus..... now when are you going to make a reproduction face plate for it?

And if you need a spanner for the HP stage, I make one.
Herman

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”