ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

MR12 Question

Thu May 28, 2020 11:25 pm

Looking at making diveable a NIB MR12 that is cosmetically flawless. Going to have to replace the seats, o-rings, etc...

Tried to find a new 2nd stage diaphragm in the VDH store but either I'm blind, their ain't one, or it goes by a different name. Suggestions on locating such a diaphragm?

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Re: MR12 Question

Thu May 28, 2020 11:38 pm

Mark. you might check with Rob at The Scubamuseum. He has quite a few different diaphragms for single and double hose regs. Some are NOS and some are new repros. You might also check with Greg Barlow. He's quite the Voit man and he may possibly have one available or know where you might find one. Good luck! Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Fri May 29, 2020 12:43 am

When I did my MR12, someone on here sold me a diaphram for a Mares Abyss if I remember right. My mr12 is a good breathing reg.

Chris
Master Diver

Fri May 29, 2020 12:49 am

I have a lengthly thread on here from my rebuild that had a lot of advise from Greg and Herman. Herman has an inexpensive tool for the first stage that works great.

Chris
Master Diver

Fri May 29, 2020 1:09 am

Oops. Mine is the Titan II. Which is also the name of my thread.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri May 29, 2020 6:30 am

Mares Abyss diaphragms are a perfect fit for those seconds. Any Mares dealer can get them for you.
Herman

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri May 29, 2020 8:44 am

That's a nice looking front cover!

I equipped my favorite later model MR12-III with one of those since I like the looks over the later black plastic ones. It makes the second stage look smaller. Most of the boat kiddies have never seen one so it occasionally gets some curious looks. They probably think I'm too poor to buy a new reg and too old to know the difference. Fine with me. My dive buddy says to leave hers alone.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri May 29, 2020 8:55 am

Thanks for the info guys! I'll look into the Mares Abyss route for a diaphragm. Now I just have to find a Mares dealer. :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri May 29, 2020 11:34 am

Since my LDS is closed does anyone know of an online Mares dealer that will sell me a diaphragm? My searches found plenty of places to buy regulators, but none sold just 2nd stage diaphragms. Thanks. Mark

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri May 29, 2020 2:42 pm

Okay, Dive Right In Scuba is ordering me a couple of diaphragms. Success!

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Fri May 29, 2020 7:14 pm

I think these diaphragms were a recall item for Mares, and you can still exchange your old one for the upgrade for free?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri May 29, 2020 7:47 pm

Vancetp wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:14 pm
I think these diaphragms were a recall item for Mares, and you can still exchange your old one for the upgrade for free?
My old diaphragm says Voit on the metal plate. Do you think they will notice? :)

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Sat May 30, 2020 7:23 am

Mark, I just read your original post. If you need any other parts, or guidance on the rebuild, let me know. I’ve been rebuilding the MR12 series regs for over 20 years. It’s probably easiest to reach me through my email, [email protected].

Also, the only diaphragm recall that I am aware of was with the early Mares versions that were clear silicone. Mares began putting a colored dot on the redesigned ones so the techs would know it didn’t need to be switched out.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Sat May 30, 2020 7:27 am

I forgot to mention it before, your regulator was most likely manufactured in 1972 or 1973.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat May 30, 2020 9:10 am

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the info!

I opened up the 1st stage and saw it was identical to my Trieste 1st stage (save for the MR12 has a teflon backup ring where my first-gen Trieste does not). Looks like a pretty easy reg to overhaul. Mark

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”